Principal Puckers Up for Pig

Kaya Murray

Mr. Corradino kisses a pig to raise money for FFA

One of the principals, chosen by student votes, will get to pucker up and kiss a pot-bellied pig Dec 12 in the cafeteria for a fundraiser put on by Klein HOSA and FFA to benefit SIRE, an organization for therapeutic horsemanship.

At the end of the week, donations will be tallied up and the principal whose jar has the most funds raised will kiss the pig at all four lunches.

“I want Mrs. Bollinger to win because I think it would be pretty hilarious to see [her kiss a pig] and experience new things,” senior Christian Trevizo said.

All week long, from Dec 5-9, HOSA and FFA will have a booth at the front of the cafeteria with a different donation jar for each principal so students can vote by donation for one of the principals to have to kiss a pig.

“The pigs that we will be using are potbellied pigs,” Ag teacher Becky Brummond said. “I have two different pigs and it depends on their attitude as to which one I bring.”

FFA and HOSA have teamed up once before to raise money for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital and will continue this partnership to unite two organizations for the greater good of our community, according to Brummond.

“We [FFA] thought why not team up with all the different organizations across campus to make a larger effect and hopefully raise more money for the SIRE program,” Brummond said.

HOSA chose SIRE as the organization to raise funds for because it is still a relatively unknown organization that can improve the quality of life for people with special needs through therapeutic horsemanship and educational outreach programs according to senior HOSA Competition Officer Kathy Nguyen.

“With two well-known clubs at Klein High School joining forces, this fundraiser will be a massive success,” Nguyen said.

For students that want to get more involved, SIRE has three locations; Spring, Richmond, and Hockley and anyone can sign up to volunteer at www.sire-htec.org.

“SIRE provides therapeutic riding for people with disabilities; physical, mental, or cognitive,” said SIRE executive director, Joe Wappelhorst. “Riding at SIRE gives young people the chance to break out of their label and say I’m the one who rides horses.”

The funds being raised will help SIRE allow more people to get up on horseback and the cost for riding to be as low as possible.

“The biggest thing  [donations] helps  to keep fees [for riding] as low as possible,” said Wappelhorst.