Volleyball Concludes Season at Regional Finals

Kamryn See

Juniors Annie Antar and Camryn Kling embrace each other after winning the final set in their game against Round Rock Westwood High School.

1,541 Views

The Klein High School Varsity Volleyball team became Regional Quarterfinal champions and placed 5th in the State on Nov.15 against Prosper High School at Sam Houston State University, with a final score of 3-2.

“It’s a really great experience to go so far in playoffs and making history with my team,” junior Annie Antar said. “Considering we’re a very young team, it was a huge accomplishment.”

Prior to the beginning of their season, Klein Volleyball was ranked low in the state, but made a comeback by breaking a school record with 41 wins and only 7 losses.

“We were the underdogs,” senior Sophia Solis said. “Everyone thought we weren’t going to be as good as we are.”

The team was motivated to perform to the best of their ability, pushing through the pressure in the process.

“We have the passion and the heart,” Solis said. “We play together as a team because we’re sisters at the end of the day.”

The turning point in the team’s season was their first win in the regular season and clean sweep of 3-0 against The Woodlands High School, a team ranked fourth in the state.

“Our team hasn’t beaten them in a long time, they’re notoriously known for having a good program,” junior Abby Sweeney said. “Beating them was the fuel of the fire for this season.”

Following the normal season, the Bi-District round ended on a positive note, as Klein beat MacArthur High School 3-0, the opposing team not reaching a score above double digits in any set.

“We kept the same intensity that we would have in any challenging game,” senior Abby Chi said. “We stayed together throughout the whole thing.”

The Area and Regional Quarterfinal rounds also were in the team’s favor, as they scored 3-1 in both games against Round Rock and Round Rock Westwood.

“In rounds two and three, our opponents won the third set,” junior Camy Kling said. “That’s when our team realized that we needed to get that momentum back, so we didn’t go to set five, and it paid off.”

Klein Volleyball became winners of Regional Quarterfinals after their loss against Plano West, and the team remains optimistic for the following years to come.

“Our ultimate goal for next year is to win state and it’s so doable for us,” Antar said. “We win games with heart and hard work, we proved to a lot of people that we deserved to be there, and we could do more than everyone thought we could.”