Elections inspire political participation amongst seniors

As midterm elections and presidential primaries begin to spark debate amongst major news outlets and families across the nation, an effort has been made throughout Klein to register eligible students to vote.  This has sparked political thought and debate amongst seniors, who by 2016 could be voting for the 45th president of the United States of America.

“I think it’s pretty crazy that we get a say in the most important election in the country, especially since a lot of kids are just going to be graduating high school when the election actually happens” said senior Edward Emmert.

A large number of students will soon, for the first time in their lives, be given a say in how the country is ran at both the federal and state level. Because of this, many have experienced a new feeling of urgency in regard to both learning and understanding the many political events of recent months. From the protests in Hong Kong to the upcoming elections within Texas, students are studying political happenings and developing their own opinions based upon them.

“I think it’s important for students to vote and be informed about presidential elections because that will make them more aware of the state of our nation” said senior Sabrina Debenedictis.

Though many students have decided to participate in political discussion, not all are going to vote. Major roadblocks in regard to voting amongst students range from busy schedules to voter apathy and even political ideology itself. Many students, when asked why they were not voting, stated that they did not believe that their votes would count for anything. This belief seems to hold true even amongst those who have decided to vote.

“I don’t think most students really know what’s going on, and will probably just vote like their parents did, so I don’t really see the point in them going to vote” said senior Thienkim Ho, who has decided not to participate in the upcoming elections.

Regardless of one’s choices as to voting and political participation, the importance of the democratic system as well as the importance of voting are known widely amongst American students. For years, students have learned about the Founding Fathers, the Constitutional Convention, the Mayflower Compact and the fight against Great Britain during the Revolutionary War. Despite the quickly approaching Homecoming dance and stressful school assignments, students have not forgotten the unique freedoms which Americans possess in regard to voting, and the long history in its establishment as a constitutional right within the United States.

“It’s your duty as an American to know who leads the nation, so of course voting is important” said sophomore Joshua Knight. “Our freedom to do it should just be already appreciated.”