The Official Student News Site of Klein High School

The Bearchat

The Bearchat

The Bearchat

Baker Promoted To Athletic Director

Brandon Bakers Staff Photo. Photo courtesy of Klein ISD Directory.
Brandon Baker’s Staff Photo. Photo courtesy of Klein ISD Directory.
695 Views

Once a Bearkat, always a Bearkat applies to more than just alumni.

It also applies to principal Brandon Baker, as it was announced to Klein High faculty on Tuesday, February 6, that Baker would be promoted to Klein ISD Executive Director of Athletics and Student Activities, effective immediately.

“I am excited to take on this new role,” Baker said. “Athletics is something that I have always been passionate about, so I am grateful for the opportunity to serve campuses and students in a different way.” 

Baker will manage the district athletic programs and facilities as well as other student activities. He will also ensure compliance with all federal and state, University Interscholastic League and local requirements.

“I am mostly looking forward to the opportunity to support our coaches and athletes in this new role,” Baker said. “I hope to continue the tradition of excellence that we have in athletics in Klein ISD.”

While the search for a new principal takes place, Larry Whitehead, former Klein High principal for 17 years, will be serving as interim principal.

“I love working with Mr. Whitehead,” English teacher Kayla Trainer said. “He’s been here off and on and it’s nice to see him back and he enjoys being back here.”

Whitehead started his career with Klein when Strack Intermediate first opened in 1977, where he worked as a teacher and coach. Whitehead has worked for Klein for 36 years, and plans on remaining with Klein for as long as the district needs him. 

“I missed Klein High, bleed Bearkat blue,” Whitehead said. “You never really give up being a Bearkat and so I’m loving being back.”

So far, the district has said that they hope to find a new principal by spring break.

“They have a very specific process that they go through for any principal position,” Whitehead said. “They try to speed it up a little bit when it’s in the middle of the year, so I know they want to try to find somebody as soon as they can, but they want to be sure that they get the right person. Hopefully they’re going to have somebody very soon, but you just never know how quickly it’s going to happen.”

Baker was  at Klein High for eight years, and served as principal for four. Though he started out as a coach at a different high school, he worked at Klein High as an assistant principal and associate principal before adopting the role of principal.

“I will miss a lot of things,” Baker said. “More than anything I will miss being with our kids and teachers every day. I love connecting with kids and even though I will still have an opportunity to do that in my new role, it won’t be as often.”

For seniors of Klein High who spent all four years with Baker, he may hold a special place in their hearts.

“My favorite part [of having Baker as principal] was seeing him and his girls at the football games but specifically at Homecoming,” senior Anna Laser said. “It showed that he cared about this school’s traditions as much as the students and supported us.”

While Baker will not be onstage for the class of 2024’s graduation, he will attend to cheer on those graduating. 

“It’s hard to leave Klein High School,” Whitehead said. “And I know he’s going to love what he’s doing over there. He’s got a passion for athletics and he’s in a great spot to help the district out. He will be a wonderful resource for Klein ISD.”

Though he is leaving, Baker has stated he loved his time as a Bearkat.

“Can you be excited and sad at the same time?” Baker said. “Klein High School has been a dream job for me …The students and teachers here have been amazing to build relationships with and learn from, I can’t explain how much I love KHS.”