The Official Student News Site of Klein High School

The Bearchat

The Bearchat

The Bearchat

Catching Interest

Clubs Hold Meetings to Attract New Members
Maggie Atkinson
WAC Officers prepare for their meeting
421 Views

Student Council, Women’s Association Club (WAC), National Art Honor Society (NAHS), Paws 4 Purpose, and Key Club are all beginning to recruit new members. In August, clubs held interest meetings to gauge their turnout for the year.
“The interest meetings are mainly for people who want to join the clubs so they can get all the information, fee stuff and join our Remind and Schoology so that they’ll get updates about more club meetings,” junior Kate Mehaffey, WAC historian, said.
WAC held their meeting on Thursday, August 17 and offered cookies and juice boxes to attendees before presenting a slideshow featuring the officer’s names, club information, and the woman of the month.
“Women’s Association is really important to me,” Mehaffey said. “I’ve been a feminist as long as I’ve been alive. It’s just empowering to be in a club full of women who want to uplift each other. And we get to get together and talk about women’s accomplishments and what they’ve done in the past and right now.”
While WAC was discussing donating to women’s shelters, Paws 4 Purpose, who held their meeting on Monday, August 21, were providing volunteer opportunities and uniting people over their love for man’s best friend.
“For me [Paws 4 Purpose] is a way that you can get to know people that have the same interest as you and give back to your community,” sophomore Lorelei Molitoris, Paws 4 Purpose vice president said. “I think [people] should join because it’s a great way to meet new people, and help dogs, and go to animal shelters. And you can read to the puppies, which is really fun.”
Two days later NAHS hosted their meeting on Wednesday August 23, where they displayed art from previous years to entice new members and explained the process of joining the club.
“[NAHS] brings people together,” senior Nayeema Ornelas, NAHS president, said. “We have a fun time and that’s all I want for this year. To be fun and have a lot of opportunities for people.”
With more club first meetings on the horizon, the only thing left for students to do is decide which extracurricular is meant for them.
“Show up,” Ornelas said. “Talk to people, have fun, engage and it’ll be fun.”