KHS National Merit Scholars Announced

Courtesy of Stephanie Renfrow

The 2015-2016 National Merit Semi finalists and Commended Students pose with Principal Larry Whitehead.

Klein High School Tuesday announced its 2015-2016 National Merit Semi Finalists and Commended students. 

According to the National Merit Web site, in early September, about 16,000 students, or approximately one-third of the 50,000 high scorers, are notified that they have qualified as Semifinalists. Theses students are the highest scoring entrants in each state.

“NMSC provides scholarship application materials to Semifinalists through their high schools. To be considered for a National Merit Scholarship, Semifinalists must advance to Finalist standing in the competition by meeting high academic standards and all other requirements explained in the information provided to each Semifinalist, ” the site states.

Commended Students are named on the basis of a nationally applied Selection Index score that may vary from year to year and is typically below the level required for participants to be named Semifinalists in their respective states. Although Commended Students do not continue in the competition for National Merit® Scholarships, some of these students do become candidates for Special Scholarships sponsored by corporations and businesses, according to the National Merit Web site.

2015 – 2016 National Merit Semi-Finalists 

ThienSon S. Ho

Ann Li

Nicholas A. Nguyen

Siddharth S. Shah

Kyle C. Sutherland

2015 – 2016 National Merit Commended Students

Jake R. Berry

Cecilia V. Bui

Abigail C. Dommert

Christine K. Jou

Katherine A. Mulkay

Megan T. Noonan Pham

Anna M. Pronko

Rebecca L. Wang

John P. West