HOSA Sets Record With Number Advancing to Nationals

Among thousands of HOSA participants, 48 Klein students placed in the top three in the state last month in Galveston, advancing them to the International Leadership Conference in Nashville in June.  That was more than any other high school in Texas.

“I am so proud of these students,” Sponsor Kristen Haggard said. “ We have not only held our own against the best Health science academies in the state of Texas and for the third year in a row, but we now have the most successful HOSA program not only in the state, but in the nation. For the past two years at the national competition, we have had more students place in the top 10 in the nation than any other high school.”

In addition, The six senior members of the Klein HOSA Medical Reserve Corp team not only won first place in the State of Texas, but were also honored with MRC Recognition Certificates and Barbara James Service Awards for their dedication and commitment to their community throughout the year, Haggard said. In order to receive these awards, students must document community service and MRC partnership activities totaling 50 and 30, consecutively.  The students, collectively, have spent over 800 hours dedicated to the community and promoting the mission of the Harris County Medical Reserve Corp since July of 2015, she said.

MRC Members are : Robby Singh, Natalia Arizmendi, Daniel Aquino, Pascual Moreno, Eddie Ruiz and MRC Incident Command Leader Caitlin Koch

“This is our most successful year. In 2015-2016, we had 39 students advance to nationals, and this year 48 certainly topped that,” Haggard said.  “The school with the highest number of students behind us was South Texas High School for Health Professionals near Brownsville. They had 20 students advance to nationals.”

Haggard said she credits the team’s success to the way they help each other.

“The older students mentor younger ones and students collaborate and help one another with events that they are not even participating in, “she said.   “The level of teamwork in Klein HOSA is the best part about it and a skill that is sure to make the students successful in their future healthcare careers because medicine is a collaborative effort, it takes an entire team of healthcare professionals to save lives.”

Complete list of Winners:

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE FOLLOWING HOSA MEMBERS WHO PLACED FIRST AT STATE COMPETITION AND HAVE ADVANCED TO NATIONALS:

MEDICAL RESERVE CORP – 1ST PLACE

Caitlin Koch, Natalia Arizmendi, Daniel Aquino, Pascual Moreno, Eddie Ruiz, Robby Singh

COMMUNITY AWARENESS – 1ST PLACE

Justin Rafferty, Carla Bell, Stephanie Nguyen, John Nguyen

MEDICAL INNOVATIONS – 1ST PLACE

Amna Irfan, Briana Nunez, Quory Shekoh, Brianna Greenberg

PUBLIC HEALTH – 1ST PLACE

Aliyah Khan, Asiyah Khan, Danielle Edrada, Jennifer Nguyen

CLINICAL SPECIALTY – 1ST PLACE – Nikki Bock

SPORTS MEDICINE – 1st PLACE – Maggie Kappel

PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURE – 2nd  PLACE

Haani Tai, Hasan Shaikh, Salman Al- Luqman, Shariq Abdani, Humza Jilani, John McDonald

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCMENT – 2nd  PLACE

Kim Nguyen, Alexa Peralta, Megan Menez, Andrew Manchester, Ethan Hsu, Jeremy Han

BIOMEDICAL DEBATE – 2ND PLACE

Eric Nguyen, Grace Liu , April Davies

PATHOPHYSIOLOGY – 2ND  PLACE –  Rohan Robinson

HUMAN GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT – 2ND  PLACE – Saleel Sripada

HEALTHY LIFESTYLE – 2ND  PLACE – Bryan Wessinger

NUTRITION – 2ND  PLACE – James Henderson

PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURE – 3RD  PLACE

Zach Holzem,  Preston Peak, Travis Arnold, Sarah Ebanks, Mason Carnahan, Maddie Hutchinson, Kaitlyn Richards, Kaley Ayers

CLINICAL SPECIALTY – 3rd  PLACE – Abdullah Adegbindin

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE FOLLOWING HOSA MEMBERS WHO PLACED

4th and 5th at STATE COMPETITION:

PHYSICAL THERAPY – 4TH PLACE – Celestene Gaza

MEDICAL ASSISTING – 5TH  PLACE – Melissa Lin

PHARMACOLOGY – 5TH PLACE – Anh Nguyen

RESEARCHED PERSUASIVE SPEAKING – 5TH PLACE – Hanaa Irfan