Klein High School Rated 89 by TEA’s Accountability System

This+graph+displays+how+TEA+grades+elementary+and+middle+schools+differently+from+high+schools.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

This graph displays how TEA grades elementary and middle schools differently from high schools.

Michael Williams, Staff Writer

69 Views

Every year, the Texas Education Agency (T.E.A) rates each school district and each school in that district based on student achievement and school progress. Klein High School tied with Klein Oak for the highest high school grade in Klein ISD, at 89, and was graded an A in the student achievement domain and was awarded B’s in both the school progress and closing the gaps domain. Each year, the Texas Education Agency (T.E.A) rates each school district and each school in that district based on student achievement and school progress. Klein High School tied with Klein Oak for the highest high school grade in Klein ISD, at 89, and was graded an A in the student achievement domain. It was awarded B’s in both the school progress and closing the gaps domains.

“The A through F rating system came out a couple of years ago and so we have improved,” Principal Jessica Haddox said. “As a high school principal, a lot of our schools are very comparable. We’re also competitive, but in a healthy way. We did tie with Oak.”

The schools are graded based on three domains, student achievement being the first. This measures performances across all subjects for all students. College and career readiness, graduation rates, and military readiness are all factored into this domain. 

“There’s so much going into the accountability system,” Haddox said”  “a lot of it is the CCMR, the college and career military readiness; that’s one reason why we have the College and Career Center to help students prepare for the outside world. This accountability system measures a lot of that so it gives us targets to aim for in the future.” 

The school progress domain is evaluated and broken down in two ways. The first is by looking to see students who grew within one year academically by their Math and Reading STAAR results. The second way it’s looked at is of the achievement of all students relative to their district and campus.

“We’re really always looking for growth. I just was so excited how much we grew,” Haddox said. “So while we didn’t get an A, we made gains. I think that schools are more than just a score.” 

The last of the three domains, closing the gap achievement, is determined by how students within a certain student group perform compared to the rest of that group. Those groups are put together by different state determined factors such as race, special school programs, and socioeconomic status.

“We have amazing kids and whether their path is college or career, we’ve got a lot of opportunities and they take advantage of them,” Haddox said. ”I’m not really big into stressing the accountability system because I think schools are more than just a score. I love to measure progress. We want to do what’s best for the kids. If people do the right things then everything else will fall into place.”