Baker Named New Principal

4,153 Views

After serving Klein High for four years as an assistant and associate principal, Brandon Baker was chosen as the new head principal following Jessica Haddox’s promotion earlier this summer. 

Principal Brandon Baker spends time with his family as he gets ready to take on the 2020-21 school year. Baker was named principal in July. (Courtesy of Brandon Baker)

Baker began his new job in July, preparing for a school year filled with uncertainty due to COVID-19 – in which some of the students will attend school online and some will attend school in person – making his first experience as principal like no other. 

My hope is that we continue the tradition of Klein High being one of the very best high schools in the area and that every single student that leaves Klein feels valued, appreciated and loved by our faculty, staff and community,” Baker said. “I am not one to get nervous, but I certainly understand that I am following two great principals, Ms. Haddox and Mr. Whitehead. I am fortunate that I have had the opportunity to learn from both of them and we have a great admin team, teachers and staff, which gives me confidence in taking on this new role.” 

As it is clear to everyone that the 2020 school year will have its struggles as we take on COVID-19 and the new combination of learning opportunities, Baker expresses his outlook on the “biggest challenge” from his point of view. 

My hope is that we continue the tradition of Klein High being one of the very best high schools in the area and that every single student that leaves Klein feels valued, appreciated and loved by our faculty, staff and community

— Principal Brandon Baker

I think most [educators] find it difficult [not to] get the chance to work with kids in person because we are energized, motivated and inspired by you guys through our daily interactions. I think our challenge is to find a way to build those relationships. and engage with you guys regardless of our setting” … “[As for advice to the teachers,] focus on the things that you can control, find a routine/schedule that works for you and ask for help when you need it, that is what we are here for.”  

Baker said he hopes to keep the traditions at Klein alive and make them special for everyone, despite new circumstances.

“I would say that homecoming week at Klein is probably my favorite. I know that everyone has a homecoming week, but there is something about [it] at Klein that just feels a little more special than anywhere else I have ever worked,” Baker said.

Baker states that the people and role models he had throughout his life have pushed him to “grow as a leader” and inspired him to pursue education.

“Around seventh or eighth grade I started to figure out that I might not be good enough to play in the NBA, so I decided I wanted to be a teacher and coach basketball,” he said.  “I had such a great coach in high school and always felt that my purpose was to try and have an impact on kids’ lives the same way that he did for me. I can’t pinpoint exactly what it took to be where I am now, but I will say that I was able to get here because of the people that have helped me grow as a leader, educator, and a person.”