The Official Student News Site of Klein High School

The Bearchat

‘Winter Soldier’ shocks audience

Photo Courtesy of Captain America Facebook Page

The newest Marvel movie hit the theaters this month and it, much like the other super hero movies, drew in a huge crowd. Captain America: The Winter Soldier was an action packed film laced with comedy from beginning to end. The movie was full of interesting plot twists that kept the audience on the edge of their seats. Then to end it all, the movie finishes with cliff hanger, much like other recent Marvel Studio movies, which left the audience wanting more while simultaneously setting the scene for yet another Captain America movie. Continuing the franchise is a good investment for them; however, since they have done the very same thing in Thor, The Avengers, and Iron Man it is becoming cliché and anticipated by the audience in all future movies made by Marvel Studios.

This movie brings back some of the pieces from the first movie, like Captain America’s strength and speed compared to other people and the secret terrorist organization HYDRA. The new movie focuses heavily on SHEILD, the national security organization that Captain America, played by Chris Evans, is working for, being compromised by the power thirsty HYDRA supporters. In this movie, new important characters are introduced into the Marvel world one of which was Sam Wilson, a veteran army man who is recruited by Captain America in a time of need and Black Widow, played by Scarlett Johansson, who is Captain America’s partner throughout the movie. After the character of Sam Wilson, played by Anthony Mackie, is recruited to help, we see that he was more than just a regular army man. We find out that Wilson was part of a special task force working under the name of Falcon, an appropriate title for he had a winged exoskeleton enabling him to fly and fight against the opposing forces of HYDRA.

Once HYDRA had taken control of SHIELD, the characters of Evans and Johansson are on the run working together to regain control over SHIELD. While on the run, the audience notices that the two characters are more than just people working together to defeat HYDRA, for they are also becoming friends and have began to trust one another, which in their line of work is very tricky to do. Their collaboration adds comedy to the story as well as a more in depth look into the lives of both Captain America and Black Widow.

In addition to the character development of Black Widow and Captain America, Marvel introduces an equal and opposite force to Captain American working with HYDRA who goes by the name of the Winter Soldier. We see that the Winter Soldier was tested on, similar to Captain America’s experiment; only the soldier’s mind was erased so he wouldn’t resist working towards world domination under HYDRA. With the help of the Winter Soldier, HYDRA hopes to control the world by offering protection of the people from the chaotic outside world, thus causing the people to be willing give up their freedom. For those who haven’t read the comic books, the identity of who the Winter Soldier is exactly, will blow your mind. In the midst of a fight between the Winter Soldier and Captain America, the mask of the Winter Soldier falls off and both the Captain and the audience see who lies behind it. His identity shocks Captain America, burdening him with a moral dilemma when fighting this soldier.

At the end of the movie, the directors left room for a third Captain America movie where he will be hunting down the Winter Soldier in the hope that he can be saved from the peril that HYDRA put him through. After the credits, as usual, there was a sneak peak into what the next movie will have in it; in this case, they showed two new characters that will be working against Captain America and SHEILD with their powers of telekinesis and speed. Overall, Captain America: The Winter Soldier was a thrilling movie jam packed with action, jokes, and facts of the Marvel world and hopefully the third movie will come out soon so we can see what will become of the Winter Soldier.