(S)triking for Cancer Research

Young adults peddling around the cafeteria on tricycle may seem like something from a fiction story, however fiction became reality Wednesday, October 21. Students who stayed late after school that day were entertained to watch the Agriculture department race tricycles around the cafeteria. The event was planned as a way to raise money for St. Jude’s Children Hospital.

“You had to raise at least $20 in order to race,” said Eric John, an agriculture science teacher at Klein High. “So every kid that’s racing and every teacher raised at least $20. I rose $60.”

The race not only rose money to help cancer patients, but it also helped students and administrators take a break from their busy life. Even assistant principals Gary Brain and Joel Wren took a lap around the makeshift course.

“It was fun,” sophomore Nolan Keifer said, “my favorite part was racing my friends.”

The students had a fun time racing or just watching, however, they had different reasons for participating in the first place.

“I’ve been a part of FFA since I was a little kid,” said sophomore Diana John. “It’s just kind of a thing that i do.”

Other students have a different motivation to ride a tricycle again.

“It seemed fun,” said the winner of the whole race, freshman Alexandra Ewer. “Riding a tricycle again feels great. The last time I rode one was honestly two years ago.”

In the end, although the whole event was a lot of fun for the people who participated, the most important reason was the cause the $550 FFA rose went to.

“I think it’s important to show the kids that you’re invested, in not only their education but to be able to have a good time and also for a great cause,” John said. “This is going to a great thing for cancer and helping the children out so it’s really great.”