FCCLA Competes for State

This year, FCCLA had 15 competitors make it to state which will take place in Dallas, April 5th – 8th.

“All of our students’ projects [were] of course all capable of making state and they [had put] a lot of hard work into them so we [were] excited to see them all,” sponsors, Katherine Rooke and Lindsey Duke said.

FCCLA is an organization dedicated to community service and leadership. Some FCCLA members have been preparing for their regional competition – the first competition of the year for them – that took place the weekend of February 17th. The next step for some students will be the State competition.

“FCCLA is about impacting families and the community,” Rooke said.

The students who are competing have been preparing since September, some have also been preparing since August, senior Gabriele Mayhew said.

“Students start preparing in September by reviewing the rubric and guidelines for the specific competition category they selected,” Duke said.

Preparing for any competition will lead to anxiousness, but there is also a lot of excitement.

“There is a lot of nerves that set in leading up to competition. There’s also a lot of excitement to compete and see others’ projects from the other schools in all categories,” Mayhew said.

The students who plan to participate in the competition were to present a portion of their projects to a panel of teachers.

“Some categories are individual competitions or group competitions,” Mayhew said. “At the beginning of the year there is a compete off after school where each “team” will present their projects or idea to Mrs. Duke and Ms. Rooke who will then choose the best groups.”

For the competition, each category presented to a small group of judges in a room. They had a limited time to set up their presentation and leave the room, so that the judges were able to observe and look over their project. When they were back in the room, they were given a limited time to do their oral presentation, Mayhew said. Afterwards, the judges had time to ask questions before the competitor(s) was/were sent out, so they could finalize the score. The morning after the competition the scores were posted for each category, then there was an award ceremony.

“Students complete a variety of project displays and portfolios for the competition,” Rooke said. “Each category has different requirements. Some ask for a presentation board, garments or have onsite culinary competitions. Students prepare their presentation and resources needed months in advance. On the day of the competition, they present to a panel of judges based on the rubric requirements.”

Some students were returning competitors, so the categories that the students competed in were separated between occupational and senior. The occupational category is for those who were returning competitors, and the category that is more difficult. The top six with qualifying scores move onto state and the top two with qualifying scores move onto Nationals.

“This year, at least for my category, has not changed. However, I do feel that I am more prepared to compete and more confident in my project than last year,” Mayhew said.