Klein Students Win Leadership Awards from the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Conference.

Abigail+and+Carla+receiving+their+HOBY+certificates+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Abigail and Carla receiving their HOBY certificates

Photo Curiosity of Blanca Lujan

Photo Curiosity of Blanca Lujan

Photo Curiosity of Blanca Lujan

Michael Williams, Staff Writer

39 Views

Courtesy of Hugh O’Brian Leadership

Over the summer, juniors Carla Lujan, Adrian Atienza, Kristi Boettcher, and Abigail Sweeney were all selected to go to the Hugh O’Brain Youth (HOBY) Leadership Conference. In addition to participating, Lujan was awarded the spirit award and Sweeney was selected as a Worldwide Leadership Conference Finalist. The event was held on June 7 – 9 at the University of Houston campus. 

“I was very excited,” Carla Lujan said. “There were so many awesome leaders in the whole youth conference and when they said my name I was like ‘there’s absolutely no way’.”

In addition to being selected to attend the event, Sweeney was selected for her leadership skills by the Gulf Coast Leadership team as a runnerup to attend the HOBY Youth Leadership Congress from more than 200 students from area public and private high schools that participated at the event. Lujan was one of the Spirit award winners based on her enthusiastic support and attitude during the event.

“The tools I learned at HOBY have and will help me for the rest of my life,” Sweeney said. “I learned many things at the conference, especially how to spark engagement for everyone rather than being the only one to raise your hand in class.”

The Hugh O’Brain Youth Leadership program is an organization dedicated to training and teaching young teenagers. Founded in 1958 by Hugh O’Brain himself as a nonprofit organization, the HOBY program provides lifelong leadership development opportunities that empower the youth to achieve their highest potential and gain knowledge of leadership skills. 

Not only do they teach you leadership skills but they teach you how to deal with different people,” Lujan said. “They really showed what true leadership is like so I do recommend it to other sophomores.”

These students were selected as HOBY Ambassadors from Klein in April. Counselors suggest it to sophomores who they think should go to the conference. Students are asked to write an essay and submit it to their counselors so it can be evaluated and are later told whether or not they have been submitted to the conference.

“I had a blast at this year’s Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Conference,” Sweeney said. “It felt so rewarding to be selected as a conference finalist. It truly made me feel like a leader, amongst other leaders. I would highly recommend it to other sophomores to apply, especially if you are a bit shy, where HOBY can help with that. But this conference can help any type of leader and I hope every sophomore applies.”

By 1998, HOBY celebrated its 40th Anniversary and launched a new initiative, Leadership for Service, challenging all HOBY ambassadors to commit to 100 hours of community service. Hugh O’Brain’s belief in the potential of every human being and his commitment to helping the youth of the world become major contributors to society is his legacy. 

“If you want something as a leader, if you want something to get done, if you want a goal to be accomplished then you need to have everybody on board,” Lujan said. “Everyone needs to be on the same page in order for that to happen.”

The leadership conference is known for impacting students by showing them a new way to look at leadership. It helps them approach different scenarios and situations in a better more positive way. 

I do have a new outlook on leadership post the conference,” Sweeney said. “It taught me to be a leader when a leader is needed.”