Tale with a twist

Drama’s Twelfth Night showcases teen talent

In 1601, William Shakespeare put his playwriting skills to the test when he crafted Twelfth Night, a comedy revolving around two young twins who get separated. Believing the other to be dead, the twins get involved with a depressed Duke, a love struck countess, and a protective captain in numerous scenarios. Drama recently revived the Shakespearian comedy, and brought it to life in brand new ways.

“We read several Shakespeare shows to select for the Renaissance Festival,” said Drama Teacher Tina Domino. “We decided on Twelfth Night because of the students we have, the plot, the challenge of the characters, and the overall study of the show.”

“I was really excited because I’ve never done a Shakespeare show before.” said senior Lance Cremona. ”I was even more excited when I found out it was Twelfth Night because we had just finished Leading Ladies and that was based on it.”

After school performances on Nov. 1, 3, and 5, the cast and crew traveled to the Renaissance Festival to perform for competition purposes on Nov. 7.

“I thought it was fun being outside, in the fresh air. It made performing the play seem more real.” said sophomore MarShae Morris. “I was totally fine that we lost. I was happy that Klein Oak placed because we’re all part of the same school district.”

Despite the loss at the Ren. Fest., cast members felt they still did well when performing at the school.

“Though difficult to understand at certain points, Twelfth Night had an enriching storyline and dedicated performers who thoroughly enjoyed their roles on stage,” said sophomore Hayley Helton.

Domino also felt the need to help make more teens aware of Shakespeare’s classic literature.

“I think our community and students need to be exposed to a wide variety of literature and plays being performed,” said Domino. “The more they see Shakespeare, the better they will understand and appreciate it.”